Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Big Brother is Watching

I got a call Monday night from American Express. They wanted to verify some recent charges to my card.

“Oh, that’s easy I haven’t used my card since the middle of last week.”

The security rep from American Express tells me that there is a total $327.68 of suspect charges. She cancels the card and then begins explaining the next steps… and… nothing…

Damn cell phone dropped the call! (I don’t have a regular telephone, only a cell).

Sunva…

I call back… the Security and Fraud Department is now closed? They close at 8pm. It’s 8:01pm.

F*&#!!!

I call the 1-800 number on the back of the card. Now the real fun begins… I get their “after hours” customer service.

I explain the situation and that I was on the phone and got disconnected.

“So then, how may I help you Mr. Cummins?”

“Ummm what happens next? What do I do? How do I get a new card?”

He explains to me that the card has been canceled (I knew that and told him that initially) and that in a few days I can call them back and file a fraud claim and refute the charges.

What?

“Call back and file a fraud claim? You people called me. You identified the charges first and I confirmed I did not make them. Why do I need to call back and open a fraud claim?”

“These charges are pending, so we cannot do anything with them right now.”

“How about you decline them and start the fraud claim now…?”

“Sir, these charges are pending…”

You can see where this was going. I’ll be calling them back today.

*Sigh* At least I’m not liable for the charges and they caught it early.

It’s at times like these when it is nice to have “Big Brother” watching.

No comments: